Saturday, October 15, 2005

Hakuna Matata

Ohhh what a wonderful phrase. Yes I went to see the Lion King in B'ham last night and yes it was oh so good. I took my sister and we met my two cousins who go to samford, and it's always great to spend time with them. We didn't get to go to Cheesecake Factory like I had hoped but oh well.
So this week has been awesome, a calm before the storm of my 4 tests next week you might say. Pledge Bible study went really well Monday night, which is huge because I've been praying about it for a long time. I received a lot of awesome feedback so that was good. It gave me a huge confirmation that I was being led by the Spirit as far as the direction of our study goes.

Being "led by the Spirit" has always been an intriguing statement to me. Of course if you know me, you know that the Holy Spirit is probably one of my favorite things to talk about, so naturally I love learning and seeking more about Him. But that phrase just seems to take our relationship with the Lord one step deeper. It moves it beyond just text written on a page (which I'm not demeaning because that's the holy Word of God) to something more intangible, something alive and active in our lives. Something "now." And if you think about it, it magnifies the Word all the more because the Holy Spirit is what makes the Word alive and "now" to us (i.e. "He will lead you and guide you into all truth").
But phrases like "led by the Spirit" and especially "pray in the Spirit" really just grab my Spirit. I think there is something to the preposition "in." It doesn't say "by the Spirit" or "with the Spirit" but it says "in the Spirit." It's almost as if "in the Spirit" were a place- a certain place of prayer where we are "in" the Spirit. Wow. That just kind of hit me when I was typing. Think about it, how many times is prayer just something we do? How many times is prayer just one person activating his spirit while everyone else's minds just wander (i know because it happens to me!)? How many times does prayer seem like a chore, like everyone can't wait for the prayer to be over? This happens because we pray so many times with our own minds, and we pray "in knowledge" instead of praying "in the Spirit." I believe we could pray "in the Spirit" all day long, because then its not our own selves praying but the Spirit of God praying through us! We can't afford NOT to pray this way! There are things the Lord wants to do on this earth but His vessels clog themselves with their own head knowledge, and things that need to be prayed out and spoken out aren't because we aren't being led. The Word says "you have not because you ask not." Lord forgive me of that.
Wow, that got deep really fast... I think I might have to digest that one myself for a while because that was not me speaking. I think I might do a follow-up later.

Feel free to respond

1 Comments:

At 7:43 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Wow, Chase. That is awesome wisdom. Yeah, I love how God gives us the undescribable privilege of being able to pray "in" His Spirit. That was some serious conviction for me about prayer being a "chore." I definitely thought about that the next time I prayed in a group. Thanks for sharing! Have a good one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home